Saturday, September 19, 2009

8 Decades

Today my Mother turns 80 years old. 8 decades. WOW.....which is MOM upside down...not that that has any significance.

Back on topic. 8 decades. That is amazing. So many don't make it that long, and certainly not in as good of a condition as my Mom has made it. She is blessed, we are blessed to have had her this long, and I don't see it changing any time soon. How does one do that? Well let's take a look.

I wish I could say Mom was an exercise freak, as it would TOTALLY back up my way of life but she wasn't. Mom didn't eat fast food much, she did smoke til about 40 years of age (who in her generation DIDN'T smoke at some point?). She drank moderately, and still does (ok sometimes in her younger years more than moderately). She laughed a lot with my Dad, her life partner of over 50 years (Dad died at 78). She and Dad did start walking in their 40's and 50's and beyond, but never had a serious exercise plan, though they certainly weren't sedentary.

She raised 7 great kids, has enjoyed 20 or more grandkids (I don't recall the exact number and refuse to start counting now) and now several great grandkids. She has kids and grandkids that call on her to say hi, and visit with her regularly.

She and Dad always had a great social circle, and gave back to their community through church and investing in kids lives through youth group activities. They always had projects they worked on at the house, yardwork, gardens, cleaning, always a purpose to the day. She still goes through her day keeping her life in order, her house spotless, and talks daily with at least a couple of my siblings plus some of her generation. Today she has several of her best friends coming to visit her from Louisiana. Mom still drives all the way from Ft. Worth to Houston, spends the night with one of us, then drives 3 hours to Eunice.

I think all of these things contributed to her healthy life. Sure she has a few health issues, but nothing severe. I think that she and Dad lived life, loved life and are leaving a great legacy of love and laughter behind which helped them live as long as they did.

I'm impressed with her, and blessed to have her around. I hope that one day I cross that octogenarian line with my bride in as good of form as she has.

Happy 80th Mom!

No comments: