Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hug Them A Little Bit Tighter

Yesterday I sat outside on a gorgeous afternoon watching my son's baseball team play very well, and watching him perform at a high level. I marveled at how he launched a bomb deep to the fence in right field. I was a proud Dad as he made two outstanding catches and a great throw to the plate from the outfield. All is as it should be it seemed, and I was enjoying the day immensely.

My wife received a text during the 2nd game.

I am at a loss for words. My son's 12 year old friend died of cancer yesterday morning. It was expected, yet I cannot begin to wrap my brain around the intensity of the loss Austin's parents must be feeling, and I cannot wrap my brain around how his friends must all be feeling, after losing one of their own at an age where it's just not supposed to happen.

They are ours but for a little while it is said, usually referring to how they grow up and move on. Austin's parents have lost theirs in a completely different, and overwhelmingly painful way.

We never know. Hug them a little tighter today.

No comments: