Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Media Fast

In an earlier blog, I touched on the concept of watching too much media and how it can affect us. Our culture today provides the opportunity to be engrossed in media pretty much 24/7. And most of it has spin, much of it is sensationalized (even the weather these days is not immune to sensationalism, ever seen the headlines "wicked weather"?, almost daily right!?). In short, it is filled with negativism, sensationalism and probably a few other negative "ism's".

Currently I am in the midst of a "media fast" along with my church. This blog is the closest to "media" I get. No personal facebook (only my business facebook), no news, no newspaper, no reading the news online, not even sports talk radio! While it is not easy, it IS a good thing. We have to protect what we allow into our minds, because what goes in, stays in. Anyone here have the words to a theme song memorized? How many of you actually sat down to memorize those words? None of us. But to this day I could sing "The Brady Bunch" or "Gilligans Island" theme songs (and yes that DOES date me). We heard those songs enough that they became ingrained in our brains. Spending too much time in the media can have deleterious effects on our health.

I am not saying you have to do a media fast, I am saying we need to protect our minds, which in turn protects our attitude, which in turn protects our health. Remember that THINKING well is part of our Be Well formula.

Until next time.....BE WELL!
Dr. B

No comments: